Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is coming up soon, and I figured I should post something about it; and keeping in the theme of theater and musicals, I tried to think of a show that is entertaining, but also relates to Thanksgiving in some way.

So I thought for a while and then a show hit me. Now honestly you may think "This has absolutely nothing to do with Thanksgiving." But I think it does.

The show "Honk!" is about birds. Ducks, swans, and all other kinds of birds, which is proven considering the first song is titled "Poultry Tale".

One of the major symbols of Thanksgiving is the turkey, and so I figured a show centering around birds and "poultry" would do nicely.

But there is another reason I decided this musical connected well with Thanksgiving.

Just like most well written musicals, Honk! has a strong theme that runs through it and the plot and story revolves around it. In Honk! the theme is being different and respecting people who are different or "unlike" you.

Thanksgiving is a time for giving thanks, and so I believe it is necessary for us to think deeply about everything we have in our lives, and be thankful for some of our differences.

Most people may think being different is bad, but I think it can be a good thing. If you can embrace the prominent feature that makes you slightly different from the majority of the people around you, you will finally understand who you really are and the effects you can have on the world.

This is all that Honk! is about, and so this Thanksgiving let's be thankful for our differences and similarities and how we all are able to live together in a community...and let's be thankful for theater!



No comments:

Post a Comment