Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Hairspray

The other day I saw a production of "Hairspray" at Concord Academy. I knew a few people in the show, as well as the trumpet player in the band, and it was great to finally see this show.

I have heard all about this show before, as well as heard some of the songs, but I never knew what the show was actually about and what to expect from it.

After seeing the show and thinking about it afterwards, I have to say it wasn't my favorite show. Now, that doesn't mean at all that I didn't like the show, because I actually really enjoyed this show. However, it wasn't the greatest show I've ever seen.

Obviously, the main idea of this show is segregation, which I think is a great topic to write a show about and therefore I thought the theme of the show was a good one.

At first I was upset with the show because I didn't feel it covered the idea of segregation against black people enough, but then I started thinking deeper about this show, and I realized that wasn't the only segregation it was talking about.

The main character in the show is named Tracy, and Tracy is a perfect example of the girl who isn't as popular, not the most attractive, and comes from a strange family. When she goes to audition for her favorite T.V. show, the producer of the show tells her she can't audition as soon as she sees her, and this made me realize that the show isn't just concerned with segregation between blacks and whites but also with all kinds of segregation.

The music of this show is also great, I usually am happy with the music in popular musical theater shows, and this one met the standard for sure.

So overall, I found this show to be an interesting, well done show. It isn't the most powerful, remarkable musical I've ever seen, but of course not, most musicals aren't. So for what it was I thought it was a good show, and Concord Academy did a great job of putting it up on the stage!




4 comments:

  1. john Travolta killed it in the hairspray remake <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job chad, I really like the format (as always) of your blog and I really like how you broke your writing up with three very interesting images! Keep up the fantastic writing and also pretty sure I aced your quiz down below!

    -Maahin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great entry Chad and the play sounds awesome. You did a great job capturing the deeper meaning of the play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chad I love your blog. The font and background really set the tone for what your are writing about. Nice entry as well, I like the pictures.

    ReplyDelete